Hillsville Presbyterian Church was organized in 1854 under the direction of the New River Presbytery. The organizing committee consisted of Rev. David C. Palmer, Rev, Lee Cummings Brown, and Rev. James McChain. Rev. Brown became the first pastor, serving 34 years until his death in 1888.
The first church building was a frame structure directly across from the Historic Carroll County Courthouse on Main Street (516 Main St.), which was used until it burned in 1890. The congregation built a frame church at 210 N. Main Street and used it for 60 years.
In 1861, 47 Southern Presbyteries formed the General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church in the Confederate States of America. The Abingdon Presbytery was organized in 1867. In 1882 the Hillsville Presbyterian Women of the Church were organized. in 1983 the Northern and Southern Presbyterian Churches reunited, forming the Presbyterian Church USA.
During the period 1920-1924 Rev. W.G. Sommerville and Ms. Junia Graves, a home mission worker, worked to establish four outpost churches: Gilmer Chapel, Fairview, Silver Leaf, and Webb. Later the Webb congregation joined Fairview, which is the only surviving congregation of the four.
From 1946 until 1957 Rev. Stafford M. Query served as pastor. During his tenure, the church's congregation more than doubled and the congregation built the present brick church in 1952-53, with the first worship service conducted on October 11, 1953. Rev. Query officiated over the Centennial Celebration on August 28-29, 1954. Also, during his tenure, the four outpost congregations were revitalized.
In 1982, the congregation constructed a new manse at 162 S. Main Street, adjoining the church. Shortly after its completion Rev. James Carpenter arrived and served for sixteen years (1982-1998). Rev. Carpenter was followed by Rev. Dr. Neil McCarter who served until 2003.
During 2004 our congregation held a yearlong Sesquicentennial Celebration recalling our 150 years of service.
There have been 28 pastors, regular, interim, or supply in 160 years to date.
Rev. Kevin M. Campbell
In 2009 Rev. Kevin M. Campbell, former Executive Presbyter of Abingdon Presbytery, accepted a call as our pastor. Pastor Kevin has effectively revitalized our service to God, to our congregation, and to our community.
A Message from the Pastor
The Christian life is a life that is lived in community with other Christians. Followers of Christ need a community of faith to worship God, serve their community, love and support one another, ask hard questions, grow and learn, laugh and cry, be angry and confused, experience healing, navigate ethics, seek transcendence, know God's immanence, affirm faith and hope, and seek strength for the journey.
As God's own people, we carry on Jesus' mission and ministry of reconciliation. We continue to preach and teach the gospel, heal the sick, care for the dying, assist the poor, lift up the discouraged, welcome the outcast and rejected, and seek God's kingdom on earth as it is in heaven. Indeed we are God's very own people--a community of faith that embraces the call "to proclaim the mighty acts of Him who called us out of darkness into His marvelous light" (1 Peter 2:9b).